Have you ever looked at your reflection in the mirror and wondered if everyone else sees what you see?
It might sound like a simple question but is it though?
I find it extremely interesting to observe how animals react to their reflections. For a while, I used to wake up to the sound of a pigeon tapping its beak on my window. For the most part, I thought I had my own personal ‘natural alarm clock’…then, I thought I had a frustrating tyrant lol. In the end I came to realise that the pigeon was merely enthralled by its reflection in my window. (it’s one of those one-way reflective windows). It couldn’t process that what was staring back was actually a reflection of itself.
I remember the amount of times friends have asked if I thought they were beautiful? and I always gaped in shock! and sometimes I would typically respond like this: “you own a mirror right? you do see the beauty staring right back at you? no?“
I’m sure many of us can relate to that sentiment. Personally, I’ve had days when I’ve felt off and my reflection in the mirror couldn’t convince me otherwise, but then when I ran into friends or acquaintances who seemed to see me in a completely different light, I’d always wonder if we both see the same thing.
It made me realise that though we may outwardly look ‘beautiful’, we may not necessarily feel that way on the inside.
This makes self praise all the more important!!
We need to stop waiting on society to recognise us before we start accepting and qualifying ourselves!!
The way you SEE yourself and carry yourself will eventually begin to change how those around you SEE and TREAT you.
- Stick post it notes around your room or places you frequent filled with positive constructive words of affirmation about your self and your worth
- Fake it till you make it!!
- Won’t it be cool if your ringtone etc were lovely positive words that make you feel great?
- Put pictures of role models who look like you or do what you aspire to do career wise etc – what you see constantly affects how you think and behave.
- Surround yourself with people who think you are awesome and or make you feel like a queen/king
*If you have more tips for others feel free to share some in the comments 🙂